- What is Pinnacle Ski Club?
- Where are the lodges?
- What are the benefits of being a member?
- How do I join and how much does it cost?
- What do I need to bring?
- How do I make a booking?
- Can I bring my young children?
- Do you offer a trial weekend for non-members so that I can ‘try before I buy’?
- Do I have to contribute to the running of the lodge during my stay?
- Do I have to attend work parties?
- What is your cancellation policy?
What is Pinnacle Ski Club?
Pinnacle Ski Club is a social snow sports club that provides ski-in, ski-out accommodation on Whakapapa and year-around accommodation in Ohakune.
The Whakapapa lodge sleeps 30 and has a custodian who cooks breakfasts and dinners. Bunk rooms sleep either 4 or 6 and there are communal bathrooms for men and women. Other features include a comfortable lounge and deck with stunning views overlooking Mt Ngauruhoe, drying room, ski tuning workshop, wi-fi, and a table tennis table.
The Ohakune lodge sleeps 20, consisting of 5 bunk rooms sleeping 4 people. Each bunk room comes with its own ensuite. While there is no custodian, it comes with a fully equipped kitchen, comfortable lounge and deck. It also has a table tennis table, drying room, mountain bike racks, wi-fi and BBQ (for summer use).Back to Index
Where are the lodges?
The Whakapapa lodge is 2/3 of the way up the Rockgarden so you cannot drive to the door. Access outside of lift operating hours requires a 20 – 30 min (depending on conditions and fitness) walk up the ski field.
The Ohakune lodge can be found in Turoa Village at the south western end of Ohakune.
Maps of the lodge locations can be viewed here.Back to Index
What are the benefits of being a member?
Members can book and stay at both lodges at members rates. They can also bring non-member guests. Non-members can only stay as a guest of a member and pay a higher nightly rateBack to Index
How do I join and how much does it cost?
The cost to join is an annual subscription, which in 2019 is $260 for an adult and $600 for a family.
There is also a one-off $50 per person debenture that you are entitled to have refunded when your membership ceases. A $100 per person joining fee may also be applicable for those who join after June 30.
Example: for a family of two adults and two children the cost to join would be $600 + 4x $50 debenture or $800 all up. After June 30 the cost would go up to $1200.
Our nightly rates can be found here.Back to Index
What do I need to bring?
Sheets or sleeping bag, pillow case, towel, head torch, sturdy footwear for walking in snow, a backpack and backpack liner (Whakapapa). Pillows and duvets are provided.
Fresh fruit, milk, snacks, drinks and food for lunches, as desired.Back to Index
Can I bring my young children?
Yes, we are a family friendly club but for health & safety reasons children visiting Whakapapa must be 5 years old or over. There is no age restriction at Ohakune.Back to Index
Do you offer a trial weekend for non-members so that I can ‘try before I buy’?
Prospective members can stay for a trial weekend at non-member rates. If you subsequently decide to join you will have the difference paid between the member and non-member nightly rate deducted from your annual subscriptionBack to Index
Do I have to contribute to the running of the lodge during my stay?
Yes. Duties are allocated by the lodge leader via the duty roster. As we are a club, members are expected to pitch in and leave the lodges as they would like to find them.Back to Index
Do I have to attend work parties?
While work parties aren’t compulsory, members are strongly encouraged to attend and help keep the buildings in good condition. Attendees receive bunk night credits that can be used during the winter.Back to Index
What is your cancellation policy?
- Cancellations can be made by contacting the booking officer Sarah Wilde on 021 311 797 or email@example.com.
- Cancellations received before 4pm and more than 48 hours before the first night booked, will be credited in the form of transferable booking dates, with the exception of school holiday bookings.
- Cancellations received less than 48 hours before the first night booked will not be refunded, and are non-transferable.
- School Holiday bookings cannot be refunded unless cancellation is received at least 14 nights prior to the first night booked.